Saturday, January 24, 2009

1-2-3 MAGIC

I recently learned about a child discipline program developed by Dr. Phelan called 1-2-3 MAGIC. The program emphasizes that children are not little adults and should not be treated as such. This has been my big mistake. I assume my boys are logical and reasonable when they are in fact illogical and unreasonable. Dr. Phelans' theory goes on to illustrate that my job as a parent should be likened to a "wild animal trainer"...I really laughed at this part and thought that maybe someone had been spying on my family! Anyway, the basic concept is that we should give warning counts followed by immediate timeouts without ANY TALKING or EMOTION. Turns out that this program is working like MAGIC in my home!! HOORAY!!! I have not raised my voice or acted out in frustration since Thursday night! (This is when I went to Enrichment meeting and learned about this program.) We (my church group) have just learned to methods for stopping behaviors and in a few months, we will revisit the subject and learn the techniques for start behaviors. Porter is responding very well to the program.

I would highly recommend this to everyone with children ages 2-12. His books are available and you might be able to find his DVD seminars through your children's school guide counselor or resource center. He also has a program for teens.

7 comments:

MommaG said...

Hooray! Glad to hear it's working like magic already. Maybe you can be our first testimonial. :)

Mary Mike said...

Put it on hold at the library. Can't wait to read it. I told Madison that I was supposed to treat her like a "wild animal" and she gave me that eleventeen look. You know what that looks like. Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!

JenGMomof2Boys said...

I might need to check this out! I know my boys already act like wild animals, so I just assumed I was to reinforce that they're people! Thanks for sharing, and look forward to hearing more about your progress :)

Jaime said...

Julie,
I need Mary Mike's email, I posted a comment to her respond to hers that she can't get on my blog, tell her to either email me jhwaxter@yahoo.com or send me her email so i can send the invite, i'm not sure why she can' t get on? thanks!

Binne77 said...

Wild animal trainer...perfect! lol

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

so this was the best Enrichment night ever! The way he explained everything made so much sense and although Avery is still younger, I've found myself guilty of the "Little Adult Syndrome" as well!!! :)

The Clanton Gang said...

Oh, honey, I am in need of some of that! Maddie has been driving me absolutely crazy lately! I would LOVE to not have a strong urge to yell at her all the time!!