Friday, August 1, 2008

My Knee Problem

During Spring Break we took the boys out for a day of fun which included a ride on a train. Porter loves this activity. After the ride was over and when I was stepping down from the train, I hurt my knee. It sort of 'popped backward'. It hurt real bad and I was embarrassed with all of the attention from the employees who noticed my problem. I simply said that I would be okay and walked it off. After several weeks, I started to suffer with inflammation in that knee. I tried over the counter medication and just wearing a knee brace hoping that it would get better. As weeks have turned into months I finally realized that I was not walking anywhere at anytime without limping. I finally went to the Doctor for inflammation medication and he quickly referred me to an Orthopedist. I have had x-rays and MRI.

The x-ray shows an injury that I sustained while taking the young women and young men from Church on a white water rafting adventure years ago. That injury occurred when we were flipped out of the boat and I landed on a rock followed by being trapped under the boat (for a second or two). I knew I was hurt but never realized how hurt...until now. I simply bought the knee brace and wore it for a few days and thought all was okay. I now have 'bone spurring' and arthritis. The lesson learned....an x-ray at the time of the injury is always a good investment!

The MRI has indicated that my more recent injury from the step down from the train has tore my meniscus. This is the cartilage under the knee that keeps the leg bones happy. This is the reason for my current problems.

I will undergo arthroscopic surgery to remove this torn cartilage. It is outpatient and I should only need a weekend to recover. I am a little scared but have been assured that everything will be fine and this is a 'piece of cake'. I tried telling my Doctor that stay-at-home Mom's can't have knee surgery. He laughed and said this is better than knee replacement which is the alternative to not treating the problem now.

As the days pass since I have learned of my problem, I get more ready for the surgery. I am in increasingly more pain and discomfort...even when I am not walking it hurts. My favorite "me time" activity is to grocery shop. Currently it is torture for me and I just can't stand for that to be my future!

So....keep us in your prayers! I think that I have everything under control. Mom will come to take care of Dixon and Porter. Porter will actually be in school during the day. Porter is excited at the thought of getting to ride the school bus.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness, how painful!! This is such a good lesson on always going to the doctor. I need my mother to read this post. Good luck with the surgery, I'll be thinking about you.

PS: Have you ever tried the electronic scooters at the grocery store, they are amazing...

Jaime said...

goodness, i hope you feel much better after the surgery. when is it and we will pray for you? if you like fresh pineapple, i know someone who swore that juicing that daily after his leg injury helped him to heal faster b/c of the bromelain and vitamins in it, worth a try i guess?! good luck!

Jared and Katy said...

WOAH! You are definatley in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear about it, but I'm glad your doing your research and you feel good about it!